Date: 13th December 2008 at 7:45pm
Written by:

A disappointing crowd of just over 19,000 saw Forest put in an improved performance today, but for all their efforts they couldn’t break down a poor Blackpool side that in all honesty should have been taken to the cleaners.

It was an entertaining and frustrating afternoon for the home fans, with the Reds’ dominating almost the entire game, but in the end it was without reward. On this occasion our downfall was not our failure to defend, but the inability to put the ball in the back of the net. Forest had enough chances to win the game comfortably, but wasteful finishing has cost us again.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game when Hammill forced a save from Camp. Soon after Moloney sent Tyson on his way, but the goal shy striker missed the first of many golden chances today. He shot wide of Rachubka in the ‘Pool goal, when he should have hit the target at least.

Next up it was Big Wes to miss a chance, when his header from a Cohen free kick landed on top of the bar and ended up going out for a goal kick. It was all Forest, with the Seasiders hardly getting a look in. The only moments for concern were when Lynch was anywhere near the ball, as today he was back to his now customary scary best. He really does look like a startled rabbit caught in the headlights at times and today was one of them. He was soon to retire injured and replaced by Bennett, a welcome sight at left back given the option of Lynch.

Matt Thornhill was having a decent game today and was winning the midfield battle. He was setting us up and sending us on our way, with some well placed and well timed through balls. It was a shame that the front men did nothing with them, but you can’t have everything.

Morgan had his second miss of the game when from 6 yards he blasted the ball goalwards, but it was straight at Rachubka. Thornhill then made a defence splitting pass that sent Tyson on his way. For the second time in a week he was faced with a one on one with the keeper and for the second time in a week he messed it up. His weak effort was easilly saved once again by the keeper.

Just before the break and with the home side firmly in control we had two more chances go begging. First up it was Perch with a poor header that missed the target completely and then it was the turn of Garner, who this time forced Rachubka into another decent save from his header.

The second half was a little more cagey, with Forest probably feeling the pressure more than the visitors. Paul Anderson had one good moment in an otherwise poor performance when he made Rachubka pull off his best save of the game. Anderson beat his man and from the edge of the box, sent an angled shot to the left hand side of the goal. It looked to be going in, but fair play to the keeper for getting down to it and pushing it out wide for a corner.

In an effort to get the elusive goal, Calderwood brought on Earnshaw for Garner and soon after, Davies for Anderson. It was all to no avail, as the Reds’ couldn’t get the breakthrough. The lack of goals is a real concern now and will have to be addressed if we are going to climb the table. We could have played for three hours today and we would have never scored. Thankfully neither would Blackpool, but other teams will this season as they have proved in most games so far. As the final whistle blew there were audible ‘Calderwood out’ chants from the terraces. These chants are set to grow louder the longer Calderwood is in charge. The only man who can silence them is Doughty. But he shows no sign of doing that at the present time. It’s Southampton away next up, for the latest in a series of must win games. We won’t win any of them, if we miss chances the same way we did today.


One Reply to “We Couldn’t Hit A Cows Arse With A Banjo”

Comments are closed.