Date: 21st October 2009 at 8:15am
Written by:

This game was never going to reach the levels of excitement and drama served up in the match with the Geordies at the weekend, but it was nonetheless an intriguing and entertaining affair. Although the proceedings were ruined by some dreadful refereeing for both sides, the Reds’ managed to get a slightly fortuitous 1-0 victory and stretch their winning run to 5 games.

Davies made just the one change for this game, bringing in McGoldrick for the not quite 100% Majewski. Wilson and Morgan were once again paired at the heart of defence and once again, neither were to disappoint…..too much. It was the visitors who settled quickest and managed to win a free kick on the edge of the box early doors, thanks to a poor challenge by Morgan. Although the ball looked a little too close to goal to cause many problems, Hume somehow contrived to get it over the wall to leave Camp stranded. Fortunately, it hit the bar and went harmlessly out for a goal kick. It was a warning shot from the Tykes, who were already unlucky not to be one up.

When Forest did eventually get into their stride, they began to play some neat football, but could never reach the heights attained in the game with Newcastle. We are looking much better though and you can see things coming together, as the players become more familiar with each others game and style of play. Moussi was once again having a blinder and was winning everything in the middle of the park. His tackles were uncompromising and his passing of the ball at times is a joy to watch. With McKenna martialling the team and bullying those in need of it, we do look like a side that can progress.

The game ebbed and flowed and was developing into an evenly matched contest. We had a couple of decent chances in the first half. Firstly from a Cohen free kick, that hit the wall. An Anderson shot, that was straight at keeper Steele and a McGoldrick effort that went wide, when passing to a team mate might have been the better option.

Barnsley could have gone in at the break a goal to the good, had it not been for a great save from Camp. Macken’s low shot across the box had Camp at full stretch to stop the ball from going into the net. It was another let off for Forest, but it was all square at the interval.

Tyson was replaced midway through the second half, after picking up a knock on his ankle. Young Majewski entered the fray and his first job was to deliver a perfectly flighted corner, that was rescued by Moore and headed to safety. The two form sides in the Championship were cancelling each other out. It was a cagey affair, with neither side giving much away. The only spoiler to an otherwise entertaining game, was the performance of referee Nigel Miller. He made too many wrong decisions on the night and although they didn’t directly affect the result, they did spoil the game.

Dexter Blackstock limped off with an injury that may give cause for concern in the coming days and was replaced by Adebola. The sub made his presence felt and was instrumental in helping Forest win the points. In the 3rd min of injury time, he chested down a long ball from McKenna, into the path of the grateful Moussi. The Frenchmen hit the ball into the net and celebrated his first goal for the club in some style, by jumping into the Trent End with the fans. It earned him a booking and because it was his second of the night, his marching orders as well. It was a disappointing end to a decent game, in which the visitors can feel harshly treated at not getting a point.

Forest stay in 7th place, but only 2 points from an automatic place. This division is as tight as it can be and although it’s still early days, things are looking uncharacteristically good for us at the moment and long may it continue.