Date: 19th January 2008 at 8:55am
Written by:

Forest have made no secret of their desire to sign Sky Blue’s striker Leon Best, infact we’ve been after the Nottingham born lad since the summer of 2007. But Coventry manager Iain Dowie has had enough and has blasted Forest for the way they go about their business.

In an article from eleven a side.com Dowie says. “There has been no third bid or upping the offer for Leon, which was a derisory offer in my opinion for someone of Leon`s talent. I don`t understand why it was done like that and if I had made a bid and it had been turned down it would have remained in house. I was with [Forest manager] Colin Calderwood the other day and he never mentioned this suspect third bid. He asked me if there was any business to do and he was very clear with my response. I get on very well with Colin so there is no problem with that. The trouble is it can have an effect on players.”

It’s all well and good for Dowie to hit out like this, but in Forest’s defence we have denied making a third bid. This article is from January 18. On January 17 Calderwood told the BBC. ‘We’ve left the situation alone this weekend. It hasn’t progressed any further, that’s all we can say.’

Maybe these scurrilous rumours were circulated by the press and national media and not by Nottingham Forest and maybe Iain Dowie should pick up a newspaper now and again and catch up with what’s actually going on. Anyway, it’s all a storm in a tea cup. When do we get Leon Best?