Date: 17th January 2009 at 8:02pm
Written by:

Billy Davies was paraded in front of the City Ground faithful before todays’ game and they gave him a riproaring welcome. In return for that, the fans were treated to a battling performance from the lads, three points in the bag and almost as importantly, we jumped above our fiercest rivals in the table. Today, is a good day to be a Forest fan.

This 2-0 victory over a not too impressive Plymouth, may not have been high in quality, but it was full to the brim with passion and effort. That’s something that has been missing from this club for a good few years now and if Billy the scruff can build on it, our future in the Championship will be secure.

Davies brought back Kelvin Wilson for this one and played him at left back. Young Kelvin didn’t look out of place there and certainly looked more assured than when playing in the centre. Breckin and Wes at the heart of the defence were to be pivotal in a sterling display from the defence. Even the hapless Chambers put in a decent shift, despite being well beaten for pace a couple of times by Jamie Mackie.

It was a fairly scrappy game for the most part, but Forest were at least attempting to play football. Tyson was killing the visitors with his pace and should have given us the lead, after Cohen put over a great cross. Fortunately for Tyson, his miss directed shot was given offside.

The opening goal came on 24 minutes. A fierce free kick from McGugan was met in the box by Earnshaw. Because of the ferocity of the free kick, Earnie only had to get a touch, to send the ball into the net to make it 1-0 and also make it his 10th goal of the campaign.

Forest ended the half the stronger side, but the visitors could have levelled when Smith flapped at a ball in the air. Fortunately for us, the over fussy referee blew for a foul on the keeper. When the whistle blew for half time, the players left the pitch to a standing ovation and also cheers. Times they are certainly a changin’.

The second half started with Plymouth looking a little more interested. Fallon was becoming a handful, particularly with his diving antics. Just for a change though, referee Stroud was having none of it and couldn’t be bought. Fallon almost levelled with a decent header that went into the side netting. The small away contingent thought they had scored and so did I from where I was, but their celebrations were short lived and a goalkick was awarded.

Forest got back into the game though and took control once again. The lead was increased following a great through ball from Cohen to Anderson. The winger looked to be well on course for goal and let off a bullet of a shot. To be honest the shot was going well wide, but it took a wicked deflection off an Argyle defender and flew into the net. There were no complaints from the home fans, as the points were looking secure.The end of the game became a formality, with the Reds’ running down the clock. There was time for more drama though, when Tyson got scythed on the wing. The home fans were baying for a Red card to be issued to Karl Duguid, but the rather weak referee Stroud, decided to book both Tyson and the guilty party Duguid.

All in all it was a pleasing performance from the lads. What we lacked in quality at times, we more than made up for in hard work, effort and determination. The one quality we did show today, that has been sadly lacking for some time, is that we have a team that can stand up and fight and we showed that today in abundance. When done Billy and well done to his boys. The Sheep lost as well, so that just tops off the perfect weekend. Next up it is the Sheep and it’s in the cup. Bring it on.


2 Replies to “Battling Reds Sink Pilgrims”

  • Everything went according to the script – we seem to be saying that more often now – well done Billy

  • Passion, determination, hard work, strength & goals – Billy certainly seems to have them in a different frame of mind!

Comments are closed.